home tabraid tabguides tabsolo tabeconomy tabprojects tabcontact tab retribution paladin RSS button

wow paladin icon Solo Stratholme (Undead) - Ret Paladin

Posted by Khor | 10/19/2009

Soloing Strathholme

Any level 60 dungeon from vanilla World of Warcraft should be frustratingly easy to any level 80. That is why they make perfect targets for making gold.

(See how I am repeating some of what I said from my Scholomance post? I'm cool like that.)

Number one, it's an instance, which means there is no competition for loot or mobs. Two, you can repeat it over and over if you wish (for the most part). And three, it's fast. Clearing an entire level 60 dungeon solo as a ret paladin (or any class for that matter) should take no longer than 45 minutes. An average of about 30 minutes is good for me.

Paladin Requirements

I took my level 80 Paladin alt, Brittany, who has yet to really touch anything other than herbs in Storm Peaks. The key to farming old dungeons is to do it with a character that can disenchant, and she is an enchanter. This can be done if you are not an enchanter, but it is better gold income if you are.

Bags must also be clear, as there is a ton of loot that is going to drop. I am not picky, I loot everything. You should too, even the stacks of random food items add up over time. Of course, if you run out of space, dump the food and other trash first.

Stratholme (Undead) Items I Am Looking For

Going in, I know there are certain items I will be looking for as good gold makers:

  • Large Brilliant Shard
  • Illusion Dust
  • Greater Eternal Essence
  • Runecloth
  • BoE Blue (Rare) Items
  • BoE Purple (Epic) Items
  • Pristine Black Diamond
  • Crypt Fiend Parts
The enchanting items will come from disenchanted greens and BoP blues. Anything on top of these items will be added bonuses.

The Strath Run

My run started at 1421pm and ended at 1446pm. 25 minutes. I know I have done it in 20 minutes with a full clear on Khor, so that's not bad.

My loot was as follows:
  • 13g trash coinage
  • 11g vendor trash
  • 155x Runecloth - 26g
  • 1x Pristine Black Diamond - 150g
  • 2x Star Ruby - 8g
  • 1x Pattern: Mooncloth Bag - 10g
  • 1x Formula: Enchant Bracer - Superior Stamina - 5g
  • 3x Essence of Undeath - 15g (was high for my server, but that's what the current price was)
  • 40x Crypt Fiend Parts - 13.2g
  • 18x Bone Fragements - 2.16g
  • 11x Large Brilliant Shard - 37.5g
  • 8x Illusion Dust - 10.8g
  • 6x Greater Eternal Essence - 42.5g
That puts my total for this Stratholme Undead run at 345g!

Now, let's subtract the Pristine Black Diamond, since that was a lucky drop. So, 345g - 150g = 195g

Now, we are looking for a gold per hour here, so let's bust out some simple math:

195/25 = x/60

That comes out to 468g per hour! These results may vary, especially depending on the quantity of disenchanting materials you get. Clearly, disenchanting the gear is where the money is at.

No Lightforge Pants for me this run, or Baron's Mount for that matter. Maybe next time...